Thursday, October 22, 2009

Playing with Paper


My husband I celebrated our 2 year anniversary last month. He's a pretty hard person to buy gifts for, he doesn't want many things and the things he does want, he buys. I had seen paper cut artists on Etsy and thought this was the perfect excuse to finally get my own custom piece.

I worked with Paper Cuts by Joe. I sent Joe a photo from our wedding and within a day he sent me a digital proof of the final piece. A week later I had the finished product. It was SO much lovelier than I had expected:


Fiddling around the interweb I found some other artists using paper is crazy ways that are just too fun not to share.

The first is a typography paper cut by Made by Julene, it makes me weak in the knees:



You can find her cuts on Etsy (of course), her website and see her latest work updated on her blog.
The instructor in my graphic design class turned me on to a paper sculpture named Peter Callesen. He takes single sheets of paper and cuts, tears and sculpts them into tiny pieces of art:



If you're looking for something a little more attainable, you can buy these delicate little paper cut pop up cards through Publique Living:


And finally, my girlfriend Amanda sent me over this link a few weeks ago. It's really incredible how the artist, Yulia Brodskaya took a hokey little paper craft, Quilling, and just blew it up! Gives me butterflies, what about you?









What artists make your heart pitter patter?




No comments: